Wisehubby and I had been TTC for a while and, on a hunch, discovered his severe male factor infertility--basically, he has an army of mutant sperm. I'm also mutant; I have a clotting disorder: Factor V. We were on the IVF with ICSI track, and I gave birth to a beautiful boy after IVF #2. We've tried varicocele repair, too--ugh. Our frozen embyro transfer ended in miscarriage at 9 weeks 1 day. We don't know where the quest will take us from here.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Shots on the go

Here are some different places that I've taken shots during my IVF journey:
-The bathroom of a sports bar (Ovidrel, trigger shot before retrieval)
-The bathroom at a watch party or three (Follistim and/or Lovenox)
-The front seat of the car in the parking lot of a restaurant in Addison (Follistim and Menopur)

The weirdest and best location of all will definitely be this Saturday when I take my Follistim, Menopur, and Lovenox at the medical clinic at the Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium during the OU/Notre Dame game. Hopefully the security staff won't give me too much crap about bringing in my sack of injectable meds.

Here are a few tips about shots on the go:
1. Avoid it if possible. Seriously, it is much easier to do them at home with your trusty sharps container.
2. Have a really cute insulated lunch sack. Mine is almost indistinguishable from my purse, so I don't look bizarre carrying it around.
3. Pack back up bandaids, sterile gauze, and alcohol pads. Who knows when you'll get a gusher!
4. Find someplace private and somewhat clean.
5. Consider how you're going to deal with the sharps in advance. Don't discard the caps and such; many times you can recap the needle. Bring something to wrap or close them into if not.

Happy travels fellow IVFers!

UPDATE: They dropped Menopur for the remainder of my cycle, and we were running a touch behind, so I injected Follistim in the hallway of Catlett Music Center at the University of Oklahoma so Wisehubby could run the drugs back to the car and not carry them around the whole day. With no drugs to mix, I just took my prefilled syringe of Lovenox to the bathroom under section 18 of the stadium after OU's last scoring drive and gave it to myself in the stall.

1 comment:

  1. Fun, isn't it? :)

    I blogged about this earlier this year - http://bravingivf.blogspot.com/2012/04/if-is-like-video-game.html

    ReplyDelete