Wisehubby and I had been TTC for a while and, on a hunch, discovered his severe male factor infertility--basically, he has an army of mutant sperm. I'm also mutant; I have a clotting disorder: Factor V. We were on the IVF with ICSI track, and I gave birth to a beautiful boy after IVF #2. We've tried varicocele repair, too--ugh. Our frozen embyro transfer ended in miscarriage at 9 weeks 1 day. We don't know where the quest will take us from here.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Retrieved, take 2!

This morning I rolled out of bed and into the car that rolled north to our fertility clinic for egg retrieval. I fell asleep quite a bit in the waiting room and again in the recovery room in which we got all situated.

My nurse was nice, but she put the IV line in too tight and it pinched my skin the whole time. I complained to the anesthesiologist who promised to get me put out soon so that I wouldn't notice.

Wisehubby was, as always, very sweet and kept coming over to kiss my forehead and hold my hand. I tried to put him on blanket patrol too, but Dr. B covered me with my blanket after walking me personally to the bathroom. Methinks the nurse may not be invited back to work there again.

Anyway, everything went smoothly, and they retrieved 19 eggs for ICSI fertilization. I'll know more tomorrow about how many fertilized. Last year, 19 fertilized initially out of a batch of 33, but Dr. B was trying to avoid getting so many immature follicles that wouldn't fertilize and grow well. Here's hoping his plan worked! I'd love to have two for transfer and a few for freezing, but I'll be happy no matter.

I pretty much slept all day after we got home, and I had some amusing dreams since Wisehubby used my lack of consciousness for a rare news marathon. I dreamt the I was riding a bus with President Obama, and we ate Kit Kats.

We had some friends come over with dinner for our weekly Homeland viewing party, so now Wisehubby and I are just chilling. Tomorrow I'll be home alone, but my parents are coming over with lunch, so I should have a pretty good day.

Final note on retrieval day: Wisehubby didn't want to be bugged with trick-or-treaters while I'm recovering, so he hung a sign on the door that reads, "Sorry, no Halloween at this house! Thanks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment