Wisehubby and I had been TTC for a while and, on a hunch, discovered his severe male factor infertility--basically, he has an army of mutant sperm. I'm also mutant; I have a clotting disorder: Factor V. We were on the IVF with ICSI track, and I gave birth to a beautiful boy after IVF #2. We've tried varicocele repair, too--ugh. Our frozen embyro transfer ended in miscarriage at 9 weeks 1 day. We don't know where the quest will take us from here.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Nothing Left Beneath


It’s been a decade since I first slipped
this mask on,
the day my mother said
goodbye to her child.
You left me,
a broken girl, masked for protection.

I unmasked myself
only in that split second before I fell
asleep, drifting into a void
of feeling.

My mask became a part of me,
the way my friends don’t recognize me
without my eye glasses.

When I said goodbye last year
to my child
whom I’d never met,
I tried to take off the mask.

That’s when I found that there was
nothing left
beneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment